a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

12.14.2010

And the poop keeps coming...

I was quite pleased the first 24 hours that he didn't poop. Hooray for not having to change, rinse, and wash any poo-stained cloth diapers for a whole day. The second day, I was still kind of happy about it (I mean, who wouldn't be?!) but was beginning to wonder what was going on. The third day I was beginning to be alarmed, and started reading my baby books and googling "infant constipation." Day four, which happened to be a Saturday, I of course called my midwife on her cell phone (she never should have given me that number...) "Hey, it's Katy. Sorry to bother you on the weekend {again} but I am sort of worried about him. He hasn't pooped in four days, and I am concerned about his colon, you know, maybe it's backed up or something?" She assured me, calmly, while she was trying to clean her house and put on a 4 year old's birthday party, that breastfed babies often go a few days without a bowel movement. Her oldest son went a week, and it was perfectly fine. So I decided to wait, patiently, and let his bowels move on their own time.

So we waited.

And waited.

And this morning, it came.

Never in my wildest imagination did I ever think that a baby who weighs less than 20 pounds could ever poop so much at once. It was easily the poop of a grown man. A good 2 cups of the stickiest, grossest brown goo I have ever seen had exploded out the sides of his diaper, and when I took it off there was poo all the way from his tailbone to his belly button. You couldn't even tell he was a boy, his baby parts were totally covered and unrecognizable. It was amazing.

He was happy as a clam, probably because his tummy wasn't being smooshed up to his chin by all that poop in his bowels. I was horrified. And Daddy gave him his first shower.

At least now I know what to prepare myself for when he goes a few days with solely wet diapers...sheesh.

No comments:

Post a Comment