a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

11.21.2011

Elephants never forget. But babies do.

When we went to the beach with Aron's family in October, Owen surprised us all by figuring out one day, when he was in no mood to go to bed and was much more interested in playing with his 47 cousins, how to climb out of his pack-n-play. I had gone in the bedroom and check on him and see if he had finally fallen asleep, because it was suddenly quiet in there. I thought I would find him doing that teensy little waffling snore he does when he first goes to sleep, so I quietly opened the door to peek.

Nope. Not asleep. Not asleep at all.

He was standing on the floor, facing the window, pulling on the cord for the mini-blinds and smiling bigger than those girls who win that top model show. It was hilarious, in a way, but also a huge blow to my travel-with-a-baby plans. I couldn't believe he had figured it out so quickly, he wasn't even all that tall yet! Talk about small crisis!!

We haven't put him in that thing much since then, maybe one night, and he passed out instantly, he was so tired. I figured that the only way he would sleep in it from now on was if he was too exhausted to stay awake long enough to climb out, and that we would have to get him out as soon as he woke up in the morning so he didn't get motivated to escape.

Now, after a week at his Meme and Papa's house, sleeping in it at least twice a day, he hasn't even tried to get out, and there have been several times when he was fussing and cranky for a bit. I thought sure he would pull his Houdini move, but nope. Not once.

Apparently he doesn't have much of a memory :)


No comments:

Post a Comment