a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

2.28.2011

He rolled over...and trouble started.

I was excited about him learning to roll over. He had been working on it for weeks, and I was cheering him on, encouraging him to keep trying, don't give up! I thought it was so great, him reaching this very important milestone in his physical development, and I think babies are so cute when they crawl. Their little diaper-puffy butts wiggling about on the floor and their pudgy little arms holding up their tiny round heads. Adorable!

Then he rolled over in his sleep.

I went in to check on him before we went to bed, like I normally do. He had been sleeping very quietly for about 2 hours, and I wanted to make sure his room wasn't too warm, and open the curtains so the moonlight could come in on his crib. It took me a moment to notice that his diaper-puffed bum was pointed skyward, and his little arms were tucked under his chest. HE WAS ASLEEP ON HIS TUMMY! Aaaaaaahhh!! All I could think of was SIDS, and the fact that he was going to suffocate himself in his sleep. I grabbed him and flopped him over on his back, which of course elicited a mighty protest. When he finally fell back asleep I left the room, came back about 4 seconds later, and he had done it again. I was up all night, checking on him every 7 minutes, making sure he was still breathing. It was horrible. Of course as I lay awake, freaking out, I read the baby book and it said quite clearly that if they are doing it on their own, sleeping on their tummies, then the risk of SIDS has pretty much passed. Not that I believe that stupid book. But I am calmer now. I only check on him about every 2 hours now.

Then he rolled off the bed.

Now I know that the "parent story" of your kid rolling off the bed/couch/changing table is like the total cliche of parent stories. But I kind of thought you were all making it up. I mean, one day your kid suddenly rolls off a piece of furniture? When you're looking away for 12 seconds? Right.

No really, right. You're right. They do! Holy cow! Once he figured out how to roll over it's become his preferred method of transporting himself from one place to another. And he doesn't seem to care that it is a high place...until he lands, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment