a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

7.05.2011

Annnnnnnnnd, we're done.

No more nursing.

Period.

It makes me sad. I miss it already. I missed it the first day. I have had a hard time not giving in, snuggling him up in the glider and popping a boob in his mouth. I actually had a dream about it last night.

Owen, on the other hand, could care less.

I am pretty sure that the last month or so of him kicking me in the collarbone, smacking me in the face, and squirming to get out of my arms while we were nursing was a sign that he was over it. And I would have suffered through that for a long time, just to get him a few more weeks or months of that delightfully perfect breastmilk. But the last straw happened last week. He started biting me. Not just once, and not accidentally. He was biting me every time we nursed, on purpose, over and over. No amount of shrieking (he would just giggle) or reprimanding in a firm tone (his eyes would glaze over) made a difference. The fangs were out, and he was not giving up.

So we weaned. In a day, basically. He has been getting one or two bottles a day for some time now. Nursing was primarily a nap time/5 am activity. So losing it and getting an extra bottle or two hasn't seemed to phase him at all.

So Owen's fine, my nipples are healing, and I am a sad mommy.

Also my boobs hurt.

You win some, you lose some.

No comments:

Post a Comment