a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

7.26.2011

Make it Work (or "How To Baby Proof With No Baby Proofing Stuff, and How To Have Fun When It Sucks")

So we're staying in this really new, really nice hotel at Murrels Inlet, SC for the week while Aron works. Holly is with us, and we made a family trip out of it. Of course, there have been a few obstacles to the easy-breezy trip I had imagined.

#1: Baby proofing a hotel room when your child is mobile
So, yeah, I know, I should have thought of that. I didn't. I also didn't pack my vitamin regimen. Obviously I am not as infallible as I once thought. But we get here, to this super cool hotel room, and my child only needs about 45 seconds to open the cabinet under the kitchen sink, smack his forehead on a dining room table, and fall face first on slippery wood floors. So I improvised. No more socks, we're walking barefoot. A hair tie wrapped around the cabinet pulls keeps him from opening under the sink. The table slides under the counter almost all the way, so...check! And if we keep the bathroom door closed and the outlets covered with a smidge of duct tape from Aron's first aid kit (umm, what first aid you do with duct tape I don't even want to know) we're in good shape. Kinda.

#2: Sickness
We got here with runny noses, head congestion, sneezing, and a cranky attitude. And Owen didn't feel good either ;)...First stop? Walgreen's!! I friggin' love that place, and let me tell you why. Not only do they have baby allergy meds and dye-free baby Tylenol stuff, Little Noses saline drops for Monkey's delicate schnoz and a heavy duty decongestant for mommy, but they have comfort food Fig Newtons and mini Oreos for the kiddies and navy blue nail polish to perk up my spirits!! In no time we're slightly less snotty, in much better moods, and ready to think of doing fun things. Until...

#3: Rain. Pouring deluges of rain.
And you know what? Fuck it! We went to the giant botanical garden/zoo/butterfly house thing anyway, got drenched, had a blast, saw river otters, an alligator and a huge spider, and came back to take hot baths and a nap. So it's not an afternoon at the ocean, but it was awesome, and sometimes you have to just make it work. Owen's first walk in a summer rain was pretty cool to him apparently, and it was fun spiking his wet hair into a mohawk. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment