a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

8.14.2011

Another Trip to the ER with Aunt Alice

My little Monkey spiked a 103 degree fever today, so while Auntie Alice was visiting us for a fun filled day of sushi lunch and play time, we swooped into the Palmetto Baptist ER for a few hours of relaxation and entertainment.

Or....not so much.

Owen was in a good mood when we got there. You wouldn't have had a clue he was on fire. He waddled around the lobby, and the exam room. He played with the little baby pulse/ox lead they strapped to his toe. He flirted with the admitting nurse. He tried to turn over the trash can. All was well...

until...

the doctor came in. He was a nice doctor, very friendly, and he had a good baby bedside manner. Lots of cooing and smiling. But as soon as he put that otoscope in little pooper's ears, O screamed himself into a bright shade of purple and threw up on me. Then he asked to do a chest x-ray to make totally sure nothing was going on in his tiny lungs, and during the x-ray he was hysterical and inconsolable. He cried so hard he had big crocodile tears and a steady stream of tear-snot running down his face. So pitiful. Things got even worse when the ER nurse came in and tried to give him some Tylenol. Oh jeez. Oooooh jeez. It was less than fun.

I finally took Alice out in the hall and Daddy snuggled Owen with the lights off until he fell asleep, and we waited for the x-ray results in gender-segregated peace. It was actually pretty damn cute peeking in there and Monkey was sprawled on Aron's chest, his little diaper butt sticking up in the air and his chin on Aron's neck, drooling on his chest on the hospital bed. So adorable.

The chest x-ray showed what could possibly be early pneumonia, which is scary and uncool, so they're giving us antibiotics. It will be his first ever round of them, and while I wish we could have put them off for much longer, I think it's better safe than sorry when it comes to things like pneumonia.

Now the struggle is figuring out how to give him the medicine without it sounding like a torture chamber in my living room. So far the first dose did not go well. I tried to hide it in juice but he figured that out in two sips. We ended up pinning him down and squirting it in his mouth as a last resort and he cried so hard he puked on me again.

I am sensing a trend here...

No comments:

Post a Comment