a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

9.12.2011

Weaning from the bottle is not as fun as it sounds.

The baby books offer lots and lots of advice about how to wean your child off of the bottle and onto a sippy cup or regular cup. I have been trying quite a bit of it for about a week now.

None of it is working.

Owen is apparently more attached to his bottle than I first suspected. They're like velcro...really strong, industrial, hold an aircraft carrier together kind of velcro.

What made me realize that I am not up against any average baby with average bottle love was nap time today. He always gets a small bottle before his morning nap. The baby books suggest replacing what's in the bottle with water, and then having a sippy cup or regular cup with his milk handy, and offering him the choice. "Baby will soon realize that the bottle, offering only water, is not as satisfying, and will accept the other offered cup."

Bwaah haa haa! They have never met MY child.

Owen sucked down the water from his bottle in a flash, relinquished it when he was SURE it was empty, took two sips of milk from the sippy cup and spit it out all over his t shirt, and then threw the sippy cup of milk on the floor.

So much for the wisdom of baby books.

I am wondering if we will just have to resort to cold turkey methods. Eventually he will accept his sippy cup, right? It might take a few days of him not getting much milk, but it won't kill him, right? Right...?

No comments:

Post a Comment