a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

9.03.2011

What I really wanted to do was punch her...

We were at Wal-Mart in the produce department tonight, getting veggies for a snack tray for Owen's party tomorrow. A mom, grandma, and little boy who was about 4 (whose name was actually Owen!) were having a hard time. The little boy apparently was worried that the movie they were letting him get was going to get lost (their buggy was VERY full of stuff and I bet he lost sight of it) and was upset. He wasn't tantrum upset, he was just asking them repeatedly to make sure it was in there, and they were ignoring him. He finally started to lose it, and the mom went bonkers.

She grabbed him, pulled him to the side, and got in his face yelling at him about how he's a "selfish, ungrateful little boy" who "needs to act like a gentleman if he's going to come out with her ever again" and how she's "sick of his sniveling attitude all the time." He of course started crying, and he kept trying to hug her, he so badly needed some comfort. She pushed him away, snapped at him to stop crying, and then started belittling him about why he thought his movie was going to disappear, it wasn't going anywhere, it's stupid that he doesn't know that, etc. He kept crying, obviously past tantrum and into big hurt feelings. She was not nice or loving at any point, and finally dragged him out to the car.

It was HORRIBLE. All I wanted to do was grab that little boy, give him a big hug, and punch his mom right in her mean old face. I wanted her to beg that little boy to forgive her for being such a raging bitch. I wanted to walk away knowing that would never happen again.

It will, though. She's done this to him before, she'll do it again. And he'll be a little boy who struggles with self esteem and feeling loved or secure. And it breaks my heart so much.

It also makes me even more determined than ever that I will NEVER speak to my child that way, that I will NEVER treat Owen with such disrespect and disdain. I started reading "Love and Logic" for kids, and I really think that book makes sense and will help me get through the trying times with O.

Sometimes I really hate people. Sometimes it's all I can do not to roundhouse kick them in the back of the head.

No comments:

Post a Comment