a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

1.06.2011

Are you freaking kidding me?!?

I am constantly amazed at people, and how thoughtless, insensitive, and feeble minded they can be. I generally maintain a pretty high level of faith in humanity as a whole, but people themselves can be really stupid, and really annoying. Today, I ran into a person who was exactly that. Following is a reenactment of the conversation, in the Reader's Digest condensed version.



Person who I want to smack: "Hey, wow, nice to see you! How are you?"

Me: "Good, really good. How are you? How's [your job] going?"

Person who needs a reality check: "Oh it's great!! Blah blah blah blah blah......blah..... I sent some information to [my job] about it. I never heard from them."

Me: "Oh well I was laid off from [my job], but I am going there this weekend [for a reason related to my son], and I can check on it for you."

Person who is an idiot: "Wait, you already had the baby?"

Me, beginning to cringe: "Yeah, he's four months old now!"

Person who deserves to be flogged REACHES TOWARD MY STOMACH and says: "Oh, so are you expecting another one, then?"

Me, holding back both tears and violent tendencies: "No."

Person with no tact or sensitivity: "Oh...(begins to back away as if to leave)...Well it was great to see you....(is down the hall and cannot be seen, and suddenly shouts backwards) You look great..."



Now I realize that when this person first met me, I was a svelte 24 year old. And when this person last saw me, I was a giant pregnant beast. And I also realize that I had my son four months ago and still weigh 200 pounds and don't fit into the jeans that were my 'fat jeans' when I was 27. I realize that the world assumes that if you had a baby and still look fat a few months later, you must have gotten knocked up again, or you are just lazy. I realize that if I was anything less than a slothful, unhealthy cow, I would have lost that 60 pounds I gained over the course of nine months in a few weeks and, like Heidi Klum and Angelina Jolie, I would be trim and perky from my neck to my knees. I realize all of these things. And still, what I have to say to Mr. Never Had a Kid and Doesn't Know Anything About Women or How to Talk to Them is this:

FUCK YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Reading your blog makes me remember how much I MISS YOU! love to you, your sweet husband, and the monkey. :) Hope to see you soon!

    ReplyDelete