a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

1.29.2011

Schedule? What schedule?

I used to be a busy person. I utilized my Gmail calendar functions to the fullest extent. I had reminder emails and text messages sent to me on a daily basis, alerting me to the things I was supposed to do and places I was supposed to go, lest I forget about something in the hustle and bustle of my active life. I had work schedules and social schedules all color coded and labeled. I would look at the 2-week view of my calendar and sometimes feel breathless at the ongoing litany of activities. My friends would call to schedule a lunch date and I would have to search for free time, patiently scanning through days and juggling other obligations to make room for the people I love.

Then I had the Monkey.

Now my calendar is a vast expanse of empty space. It's sort of like what I imagine the cosmos to look like when you're on the moon and not facing earth. There are a few stars punctuating the bleak blackness, but that's about it. Now when my friends want to make lunch plans and ask if I can fit them into my schedule, I am forced to respond with "Schedule? What schedule?" and giggle lightly as though I am not at all bothered by the fact that my life has gone from 60 to 0 in 4.8 months. I will admit that part of the dramatic shift has been the loss of both of my jobs, which is not at all my little mini-me's fault. No, I blame that on other people and other factors entirely. But still...even if I were working, my g-cal would look like a shadow of its former self.

I love my son, and I love that even though we have no money and are broker than broke, I get to stay home with him and spend lots of quality time learning how to be a good mom. I enjoy watching him do the most delightful things, like discovering how to put his big toe in his mouth, and figuring out that a Johnny Jump-Up is for jumping, not spinning. But I miss my life. I miss running around, seeing adults every day, feeling productive and busy and interesting. I miss listening to my iPod really loud in the car. I miss having the time an energy to blow dry my hair before leaving the house. I miss savoring an afternoon spent wandering through the Shops on the Parkway looking for a new pair of jeans.

I knew that life would be different when I had a baby. I knew that things would change and I wouldn't have much free time. I just didn't know it would be quite this intense!

No comments:

Post a Comment