a teeny blurb about me

My photo
I am a 32 year old first time mom who is continually shocked at how much those baby books and doulas and midwives don't tell you about having and raising kids...let me tell you, it's a lot!

1.05.2011

Multi-tasking

I always considered myself a pretty good multi-tasker. I even put it on my resumes. "I am efficient and capable of multi-tasking various projects in order to meet deadlines and accomplish work related goals." I could multi-task in my personal life too, and frequently IMed while watching TV, or studied for class while taking a bath. You know, really critical stuff. But it is so much more intense now.

I have discovered that I am able to multi-task on a whole new level. I can brush my teeth while changing a diaper (well, not one with poop in it...) I can make dinner while pumping breast milk. I can take a shower while singing silly songs to the Monkey in his bouncy seat. I can wash bottles and talk on the phone. I can pay bills and make faces at the Monkey while he's in his swing. I can burp him while putting dishes away.

Now maybe that's not that impressive. But considering the fact that I am always doing at least two things at a time, all day, every day...well that's kind of intense. And it's a necessity. If I don't manage several tasks at a time, I don't get anything done. Really. Nothing. If I am not doing laundry while comforting a teething baby, or giving him a bath at the same time I take one (which will only be acceptable for so long...haha), I would spend my whole day focusing on him and never do anything else. I have learned to do this stuff because I have to, or my house will turn into a pit of dirty laundry and slimy dishes. I mean, my husband, bless him, does a lot of housework and is very helpful, but he has a full time job, and even he couldn't keep up with all of this himself.

No, I have discovered that one of the most important tools of mommy-hood is being able to split your brain and your body in half; one half focuses on the baby, the other half focuses on your life.

And now, having eaten breakfast while writing this blog, I need to go get dressed while packing a diaper bag.

No comments:

Post a Comment